The objective of this Program which started 18 years ago in Latin America is to promote the responsible use of products for protecting crops jointly with authorities, distributors, business people, transporters, warehouse owners and farmers.
CuidAgro(SM)* responds to the Crop Science Industry´s commitment to protecting the health of farmers and their personnel that has to manipulate the pesticides and is part of the productive agricultural chain. Likewise, it is a program whose objective is to comply with the International Code of Conduct on the Distribution and Utilization of Pesticides, elaborated by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations FAO.
It’s actively supported by the Ministries of Health, Education, and Agriculture, universities, non-governmental organizations, Mayors’ Offices or municipalities, agricultural trade organizations and cooperation agencies like EPA, AID, IFAD, IICA and OPS.
CuidAgro(SM)* has been responsible for messages on integrated pest management (IPM) and for all the prevention measures that are needed to utilize pesticides. These messages and measures have been disseminated to more than 9 million farmers, distributors and rural residents of Latin America over the last 18 years.
*CuidAgro(SM) is a registered trademark of CropLife Latin America.
SM: Service Mark
One of the key aspects of this program is the participation of stakeholders such as people and institutions involved in the agrochemical management process. This effort respond to FAO's International Code of Conduct on Distribution and Utilization of Pesticides. The Code's main objectives are:
- To establish voluntary norms of conduct for all the public and private entities which intervene in the distribution and utilization of pesticides.
- To describe the responsibility that may be assigned to the different sectors of society for the adequate use of pesticides.
- To promote practices for an efficient management of the phytosanitary products.
Responsibility of Producers or Manufacturers:
- To ensure the quality of their products.
- To provide scientific the scientific information for risk evaluation.
- To minimize the risk using all the available tools for risk management and conduct research to develop products with less toxicity and environmental impact.
- To cooperate with sustainable agricultural production that protects health and the environment through the responsible management of the phytosanitary products.
- To give priority to training at all levels in order to promote an adequate manipulation and an efficient use of the products.
In order to comply with this mandate, a Free Virtual Course was designed. Using four modules, it teaches the Code principles. The CuidAgro and CampoLimpio programs are carried out in 18 countries of the region.
Participate and obtain your certificate:
Consult the directory of National Associations and participate in your country’s training program.
FAO Virtual Course
Training farmers in the responsable use of technology to protect crops from pests, weeds and diseases is the objective of CuidAgro
In 2014 the CuidAgro®program that aims to encourage responsible use of agrochemicals trained 204,091 people, including farmers and applicators in 18 countries in Latin America.
CuidAgro investedUS$1.932.000in training 204.091 people, which is an increase of35.5%since2013. In Latin America, CuidAgro promotes good agricultural practices, through education in the responsible use of pesticides, the correct use of Personal Protective Equipment, PPE and the Integrated Pest Management, IPM.